Growing Closer: (Memoirs of a Teenage Author)

(This is post #22 of the My Journey to Gritty: Memoirs of a Teenage Author series)
So any newcomers are aware, this post is a chapter in my story. To go back and read from the beginning of the narrative, click the "My Journey" link directly above.



“Blackbeard… are you asleep?”
Silence…
“Blackbeard?”
Small snore…
I giggled and looked at a nearby clock. It was two-o-clock in the morning.
My phone beeped at me. It was about to run out of battery.
“Blackbeard, you have work in the morning. I’m gonna hang up, okay?”
His familiar voice sounded mostly asleep still as he mumbled, “I’m awake.”
“A little awake maybe,” I giggled. “I’ll see you tomorrow, okay? Goodnight.”
“Goodnight.”
The phone clicked off. I slipped out of bed and went to hang it up. Dad was in the kitchen, getting a midnight snack.
“Run out of battery?” he wryly asked when he saw me.
“Almost,” I admitted.
He nodded and went back to his snack.

Blackbeard and I were talking late on the phone every night now. We saw each other almost every day because of church and Bible studies and random excuses to visit each other, but our best times were our conversations into the wee hours of the morning.
He was constantly telling me stories. He wanted me to know everything possible about him before we got too serious, so that way I could come into this relationship “with both eyes open”.
Oftentimes, he’d mention something that sounded really familiar.
I clearly remember sitting close beside him one day, listening to him talk about a truck. It was a pretty boring conversation, so he was pretty shocked when I suddenly straightened my posture and exclaimed, “You have a grey truck?!”
“Well… yeah… someone’s borrowing it right now, but-”
“I knew you had one! It was really weird when all I could see is the white truck you drive around!”
Blackbeard didn’t look convinced.
“Why would God tell you what color truck I had? That doesn’t sound important.”
I shrugged and leaned back to cuddle under his arm again. “I don’t know. I don’t know why He told me a lot of things. But…” I shrugged again.

Gradually, our talks became more personal.
“So… what do you think of… like… boundaries?” I asked one day, as he was preparing to leave the trailers.
“What do you mean?”
“Well… we’re kinda getting closer. What are you okay with doing?”
“Not the big one.”
I hotly blushed. “Of course!”
“And… I don’t want to kiss you unless we get married.”
I felt really shy. I had always hoped that I would be able to save my first kiss for the wedding altar.
“Really? Why?” I asked.
“Because I’d really like it. And… I think it would make other things more tempting,” he confessed. “Besides, way back before I called you, I promised God that if He brought us together quick, then we wouldn’t share our first kiss until we were married and were in privacy. That way it would be a special thing, just between the three of us.”
I could respect that. It seemed pretty sweet, actually.
“Then, if you decide to back out of this, you wouldn’t feel so bad, too,” he added.
“I wish you’d stop saying that,” I mumbled.
“You need to keep it in mind,” he persisted. “I don’t want to ruin the rest of your life. If you ever feel like this relationship needs to end, do it immediately. Don’t think about me; just do what’s best for yourself.”
“I know, I know, you’ve told me.”
“And I’ll keep telling you, until we’re married at least.”
“You had better stop then!”
“I will, I will, I promise.”
He stepped outside. I gave him a goodbye hug. It stretched on forever, as usual. I never wanted to let him go. Finally, he reminded me that he had to go pick up his kids from school. So I let him leave.

About thirty minutes later, I got a call.
“I forgot to tell you earlier, I won’t be able to see you tomorrow,” Blackbeard told me. “I’ve got to catch up on work.”
“Okay. I’ll see you Sabbath then.”
“Alright, see ya.”
I knew he was about to hang up, but I felt like I needed to say something first.
“Hey… Blackbeard?”
“Yeah?”
I only hesitated a moment before smiling.
“I love you.”
There was a long pause on the other end of the phone. Blackbeard had said those words to me a couple times before. I don’t even remember the first time he said them, actually. I had been waiting to say them though. It was something special I had been saving back.
“You’ve… never told me that before,” he finally said.
I giggled and shrugged, even though he couldn’t see me over the phone.
“Well… now it’s true.”
“Oh… okay. I love you, too, baby. See you Sabbath.”
We hung up. I couldn’t stop smiling as I put the phone away.

Click here to read the next post in this series: Just Ask

1 comment: