Sugar on Top: (Memoirs of a Teenage Author)

(This is post #24 of the My Journey to Gritty: Memoirs of a Teenage Author series)
So any newcomers are aware, this post is a chapter in my story. To go back and read from the beginning of the narrative, click the "My Journey" link directly above.

“So… what kind of a ring do you want?” Blackbeard asked me one day, not long after his talk with Dad.
I blinked at him in surprise. This relationship was progressing along rather weirdly, but I never expected for him to blithely, un-mysteriously pop that sort of a question.
“Like… an engagement ring? Wedding ring? What do you mean?” I asked.
“Yeah. All that. Do you want to go with me to pick it out? I want to make sure you like it.”
“Uh… sure!”



Less than a week later, we were browsing through jewelry shops together. We went through several in the nearest big city, but ended up spending the most time in a little specialty shop in Blackbeard’s hometown.
The owner of the store, like most of the people we ran into, knew Blackbeard by name. She was excited that he’d finally “caught someone”, and introduced me to the huge iguana sunning itself in the window before getting down to business.
“What's your preferences?” the woman asked me.
“I’d like a silver band,” I declared. “I like silver better than gold.”
That drastically reduced the available choices. We all moved over to a different cabinet.
“What’s the price range?” I asked Blackbeard.
“Don’t worry about it,” he told me. “I’ve been waiting for this a long time.”
I smiled at him. He smiled back and tickled my cheek, then added, “Just… be reasonable, of course.”
“Of course!” I giggled and looked back at the choices. I wanted a ring that had a low stone, one that hugged close to the finger so it wouldn't snag on stuff.
The jeweler had one, it was simple and sweet, a “nurse’s ring”. It had a silver band, and seven tiny, real diamonds. The diamonds splashed multi-colored rainbows on my face as I showed it to Blackbeard.
“I like this one.”
“I do, too.” He turned to the lady. “Show me your men’s rings.”
My eyebrow arched as I watched him go through the choices. “Don’t… guys usually wait to wear those until after the wedding?”
“Usually, I guess… But if you’re going to be marked as taken, I think I should be, too."
I silently watched him. He looked over at me and prodded, “Do you have a problem with that?”
“Me?! Oh no! I think it’s sweet,” I assured him.
He picked a plain silver band to match mine, then slipped it onto his finger as he paid for both. I wondered how he would ask the next question as we stepped out the door with my ring in a brown paper sleeve.

Mom was waiting at Blackbeard’s house.
“Well? Did you find something?” she cheerfully asked as we walked in the door.
We showed her the ring. She approved, but had to hurry back to the kitchen to finish fixing lunch.
While Mom and the rest of the family were busy in the kitchen, Blackbeard pulled me to the side. As soon as we were semi-alone, he dropped to both knees so that we were face-to-face. (Yes, he’s that tall and I’m that short.)
“Jessi, will you pretty please, with sugar on top, marry me?” he asked.
I laughed, and then hugged him. “Of course!”
The ring was too big, but some discreetly applied band-aids wrapped around the backside of the band made it fit. Mom came in on us in the middle of everything.
“What’s going on in here?” she asked.
I showed her my ring. “He asked me to marry him!”
“Oh!” she giggled, then hurried back into the kitchen.
“So… when do you think the wedding should be?” I asked Blackbeard.
He shrugged. “I’m willing to wait as long as you want me to.”
I slowly nodded. I didn’t see the point in waiting very long. We knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that we were meant to be together. Blackbeard owned his own business, and had a house. I was still pretty young, but… we seemed very compatible.
“Do you want to wait a while?” I asked.
“Well…” he looked away. “Not really, but, I’ve waited this long, I’ll wait as long as you and your dad decide.”
I breathed in and out a deep breath.
Something was telling me that the wait wouldn’t be long at all.

Click here to read the next post in this series: Mixed Reactions

1 comment: